Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Day 61

2:16 PM

I'm having a great day today.  I was able to get right back into the painting after dropping my children off for school.  I finally wrapped up all the figures on the left hand side.  More specifically, I finished painting the deadly sin of "Greed."  The punishment for all eternity is to be boiled in hot oil.  I went a step further as per my client's suggestions to have one of the people in the tub slithering out to reach into a spilled pile of gold.  This area has the feeling one might have after being slowly stewed.  There is a very subdued, surrealistic feel to the characters, like overcooked pasta.  The creepiest part is the demon that is watching over the pot.  He is disgusting and has a deranged, almost amphibious face.  This is the demon that made my son cry in the sketch stage of the project.  It's just disturbing.

Well, onto the middle of the painting.  Soon my children will be home from school.  Have to keep moving. I'll be on this another 12 hours today.

2:24 AM

Good morning, everyone.  Sorry it has been a few days since I posted.  Things have been more busy than ever.  After another week of sickness I'm finally feeling like I'm out of the woods again.  My nose isn't stuffed up and my energy is back.  Having little or no problem staying up these days even without coffee.  I'm getting sick of drinking it again.  It happens every so often.  I'm usually a slave to drinking it but I think after this long my body is adjusting to the schedule.  That's good because I still have another painting to do yet by mid March.

Feeling great and anxious to bring "The Damned" to the finish line this week.  I have about another 4-5 figures to finish up and then I have some revisions to a few of the characters for the client.  I'm also feeling really great after this weekend now that Rebekah has totally redesigned my studio and I have new large strip of track lighting to work by.  The lighting is so much more diffused now and it is so easy to work.  I never had to worry about lighting so much in the past but due to the size of this painting I had to use 3x the normal lighting in my studio so that everything could be seen while I am working on it.

In any case, wish me luck.  I have my good friend Darren coming this Friday to professionally shoot the painting.  I can't wait to share the shots.  The ones I post here are just from my iPhone and not very accurate in terms of color and contrast.

Anyhow, I have to get to bed.  Need to get a few hours in to recharge.  Take care.

A shot from the bottom left of the canvas at the end of Day 61 (unless you count the fact that I'll be back on the canvas again when I wake up in four hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment